Wow! I must say I was truly honored when Amy of Foods for the Soul nominated me for a Liebster award. Being relatively new to blogging, I must admit I had to look up the Liebster award at first. It is given to bloggers with less than 200 followers (like I said, I’m new to blogging!) and has several rules (copied from Foods for the Soul’s post, One More Present!):
Share 11 facts about yourself.
Answer the awarder’s 11 questions.
Ask 11 questions of your own.
Nominate 11 bloggers.
So, here it goes. Part one – 11 facts about me:
- I can do pull-ups! It took me about a month to work up to, but now I can do three sets of five pull-ups.
- I lived in Leuven, Belgium for 6 months, during which time I discovered a love for Belgian beer (Duvel is my favorite), fine chocolate and Leige Suker Waffle (AKA sugar waffles – completely different than regular “Belgian” waffles).
- I absolutely CANNOT stand country music. #nailsonachalkboard
- I have a major sweet tooth. Though I try to eat sweets sparingly, I could do some major damage. Fortunately, I love veggies, which helps counterbalance the love for sweets.
- One of my culinary goals for 2013 is to roast a whole chicken.
- I broke my foot (first metatarsal) in high school track whilst running a 200 m relay, and still got the best split in my relay team (wipes dirt off shoulder).
- I took pottery classes throughout high school as well as some classes at a local studio in recent years. I absolutely love wheelthrowing.
- Despite being 50% Armenian, I cannot tan to save my life. Pass the SPF 50, please!
- I once split a Ben and Jerry’s Vermonster four-ways (not a moment I’m particularly proud of).
- I attended University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana (go Illini!) for undergrad and completed my dietetic internship at Loyola University Chicago.
- I have an uncanny ability to remember song lyrics – rap, pop, my fourth grade musical…I remember them all. This has led to some embarrassing moments when my friends and loved ones have forced me to sing/rap. Hey – at least it’s a good party trick!
Part Two – Answer the awarder’s 11 questions:
- What flavor was your birthday cake this past year? Strawberry Shortcake from Frontera Grill in Chicago.
- Where was the last place you flew in an airplane? Los Angeles, CA for a trip to Redondo Beach and Hollywood.
- How often do you go to the grocery store? If I had my way, every day (I LOVE IT), but in reality, once a week.
- What’s your favorite quote? Ben Harper: “If you’re gonna finish, you’ve got to begin. Don’t fear what you don’t know; Just let that be your room to grow.”
- What would you most likely be found doing at 5 pm on a weekday? Working out. It helps me unwind from the day and gets my appetite rearing (plus gives me some time to plan my dinner!).
- How many countries have you visited? Nine. In alphabetical order: Belgium, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain and the United States.
- Are you right- or left-handed? Right
- What did you have for breakfast this morning? Went out for brunch: 1/2 an omelet with peppers, tomato and basil, 1 slice whole wheat toast with Nutella (my weakness!), fruit. Plus I snuck a few potatoes from my brunch date.
- What was the last live performance you saw? One of my dearest friends, Janelle Kroll, at House of Blues Chicag
- If you had a garden, what would you plant? Everything! I’m a fruit and vegetable monger – lettuce, arugula, berries of all kinds, kohlrabi, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, herbs of all kinds, mushrooms, avocados (if only I lived somewhere where they’d actually grow). Oh and lots of kale, obviously.
- Why did you start blogging? I love to write, especially about topics that I’m passionate about, i.e. nutrition, food and health. I wanted to share my simple and delicious recipes with others and provide inspiration for people to start living a healthier life.
Part three – Ask 11 questions of your own:
- When and where did you last go out to eat?
- What is your favorite magazine?
- If you could master any skill, what would it be?
- What is one of your hidden talents?
- What is your least favorite vegetable?
- If you were an animal, what would you be?
- How do you take your coffee?
- Milk or dark chocolate?
- What does a “lazy Sunday” entail for you?
- What is your dream car?
- Do you speak any foreign languages?
Part four (the most important part) – Nominate 11 other deserving bloggers:
- running up the down escalator
- Our Studio Kitchen
- Create Yourself
- Health Without Sacrifice
- Chef Mollie B’s Kitchen
- Eat Well, Live Well
- Nutrition Check
- Les Délices de Fleur
- The Healthy Epicurean
- Pretty Happy Baking
And since everyone loves a good food picture, here is my Mediterranean Mint-Orange Quinoa:
Blog post/recipe to come…
Thanks again, Foods For the Soul, for nominating me!
It was my pleasure! I love how you combine healthy with reality (aka everyone has a sweet tooth or chocolate moment every now and then!). I really want to roast a whole chicken or turkey this year too! They look stunning when finished, but the process intimidates me…
Thank you so much for nominating me and congratulations on your award 🙂
Thank you! So glad I stumbled upon your blog – every recipe looks delicious! I can’t wait to make them!
Thank you so much for nominating me! Your blog is fantastic and I look forward to reading your posts 🙂 Keep up the good work!
Pingback: Awards (my Oscar moment) | The Healthy Epicurean