Happy Labor Day, y’all! (I am not from the south and really should never use the term, “y’all” but it seemed necessary here).
If your Labor Day is going to see some BBQ action, make sure there are some healthy options available. This slaw is both creamy from the avocado and tart from the sour apple. It’s the perfect complement to meat or other grilled proteins.
If you can’t find sour apples — mine were from my local farmers market — you can most definitely use tart green apples.
Avocado, Apple and Cabbage Slaw
This recipe is perfect with meat, chicken or fish. The apples add a nice tartness that cuts through any fattiness of meat.
- 1/2 head green or red cabbage
- 1 fresh, ripe avocado
- 1 sour apple, julienne-style (or use a green apple)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, such as Bragg’s
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Peel, seed and mash avocado
- Roughly chop cabbage (should be thin strands)
- Mix cabbage with mashed avocado, julienned apple, vinegar, lemon juice and salt.