Sorry for the lull in posting, everyone. We recently moved and, as I’m sure you can all appreciate, it sucked up a lot of my time. Now that we’re more settled, you can look forward to many delicious recipes and informative blog posts to come. And the coming recipes will have a theme…
After getting 10 pounds (no joke) of sweet potatoes from my CSA, I have been dreaming up many different sweet potato recipes — both savory and sweet.
As an inaugural recipe, I thought some sweet potato muffins would do the trick (and set the bar high for a series of delicious sweet potato dishes).
These sweet potato muffins are amped-up with coconut and chocolate chips. In case you didn’t know, chocolate chips make any baked good better. This is especially true when you’re trying to lighten up a recipe. A little pinch of chocolate chips goes a long way, my friends.
These muffins are inspired by this month’s Recipe ReDux theme:
Creative Quick Breads: The holiday baking season is upon us. And this month we’re going way beyond grandma’s banana bread. From sweet to savory and whole-grain to gluten-free, show us your new quick bread creation fresh from the oven.
For those that are paleo, gluten-free, grain-free or trying to cut down on sugar, these muffins are for you. They are made mostly from a variety of coconut products (oil, flour and shredded coconut), plus sweet potatoes, eggs, maple syrup and seasoning. Literally — that’s it. Oh, and chocolate obviously.
So with the colder/snowy weather (at least in Chicago) here, it’s time to get your baking on!
Chocolate Coconut Sweet Potato Muffins
These muffins are perfect as a better-for-you-dessert, or for a breakfast treat, pair one of these with a protein shake. They are grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and contain very little sugar. Enjoy!
Yields 12 muffins.
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked (baked or microwaved) and peeled
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash cooked and peeled sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for chocolate chips and mix well.
- Add paper liners to muffin tin (or grease). Then, add 1/3 cup scoop to each muffin tin. Top each muffin with 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips. Then press chocolate chips into tops of muffins.
- Bake for 25-50 minutes, or until tops of muffins bounce back.
Quick breads make a great gift — who doesn’t love a delicious, “Baked With Love” present? To see more delicious quick breads, whether you want them all to yourself or you’re willing to share with loved ones, check out the link below.