One of the best parts of summer is the amazing produce that’s available in Chicago — especially fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes (or fresh-from-the-CSA in my case).
Top those tomatoes with deliciousness in the form of taco-seasoned lean ground beef (plus some other goodies), and you’ve got a light summer meal.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Now, I am not a chicken breast all day, every day kind of girl. I love beef, whether it’s a perfectly-grilled steak, juicy burger, tacos, meatballs or meatloaf, beef frequents my table.
Beyond the delicious flavor of beef, it’s got loads of nutrition. First off, let’s talk protein. A 3-ounce serving of lean beef provides 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients.
Emerging research indicates that evenly distributing daily protein intake at meals and snacks throughout the day (~20 to 30g/eating occasion) may potentially contribute to benefits for body weight management and appetite control.
On a related note, protein-packed foods — like beef — promote satiety which can help cut down on mindless eating. I’ve found that my clients who eat more high-quality protein and fats are better able to cut down on sweets and snacking throughout the day.
I especially love grass-fed beef, as it contains a better fat ratio (more conjugated linoleic acids, which function similar to omega-3s). You can find great grass-fed options at most grocery stores and your local farmers market.
To find out more about grass-fed and grain-fed beef, check out the Beef Checkoff’s infographic.
Zesty Heirloom Tomato Taco Salad
Salads don’t have to be made with greens! Top fresh tomatoes with all the toppings for a nice, light dinner. Heirloom tomatoes are super-delicious here, but cherry or regular tomatoes would also work great.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (90% or better), preferably grass-fed
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 4 tomatoes, preferably locally-grown (because they taste soooo much better)
- 1 avocado, washed, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 Tbsp. each lemon and lime zest
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Add lean beef to medium skillet and sprinkle with cumin, ground pepper and chili powder. Saute until cooked through.
- While beef is cooking, wash and core tomatoes, then cut into 8 wedges. Prepare avocado, green onions, lemon and lime zest and cut lime into 4 wedges.
- Lay tomatoes onto four separate plates, then sprinkle cooked ground beef over tomatoes, and garnish with avocados, green onions and zest. Sprinkle with sea salt and squeeze a lime over each serving. Add a few dollops of optional plain Greek yogurt if desired.
For more awesome lean beef recipes, check out the link below!