Sorry for the lull in posting, everyone. We recently moved and, as I’m sure you can all appreciate, it sucked up a lot of my time. Now that we’re more settled, you can look forward to many delicious recipes and informative blog posts to come. And the coming recipes will have a theme…
After getting 10 pounds (no joke) of sweet potatoes from my CSA, I have been dreaming up many different sweet potato recipes — both savory and sweet.
As an inaugural recipe, I thought some sweet potato muffins would do the trick (and set the bar high for a series of delicious sweet potato dishes).
These sweet potato muffins are amped-up with coconut and chocolate chips. In case you didn’t know, chocolate chips make any baked good better. This is especially true when you’re trying to lighten up a recipe. A little pinch of chocolate chips goes a long way, my friends.
These muffins are inspired by this month’s Recipe ReDux theme:
Creative Quick Breads: The holiday baking season is upon us. And this month we’re going way beyond grandma’s banana bread. From sweet to savory and whole-grain to gluten-free, show us your new quick bread creation fresh from the oven.
For those that are paleo, gluten-free, grain-free or trying to cut down on sugar, these muffins are for you. They are made mostly from a variety of coconut products (oil, flour and shredded coconut), plus sweet potatoes, eggs, maple syrup and seasoning. Literally — that’s it. Oh, and chocolate obviously.
So with the colder/snowy weather (at least in Chicago) here, it’s time to get your baking on!
Chocolate Coconut Sweet Potato Muffins
These muffins are perfect as a better-for-you-dessert, or for a breakfast treat, pair one of these with a protein shake. They are grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and contain very little sugar. Enjoy!
Yields 12 muffins.
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked (baked or microwaved) and peeled
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash cooked and peeled sweet potato in a large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT for chocolate chips and mix well.
- Add paper liners to muffin tin (or grease). Then, add 1/3 cup scoop to each muffin tin. Top each muffin with 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips. Then press chocolate chips into tops of muffins.
- Bake for 25-50 minutes, or until tops of muffins bounce back.
Quick breads make a great gift — who doesn’t love a delicious, “Baked With Love” present? To see more delicious quick breads, whether you want them all to yourself or you’re willing to share with loved ones, check out the link below.
Can I just say how happy the amount of chocolate chips on these makes me?! 🙂 Looks awesome, definitely pinning for later!