Who doesn’t like COOKIE DOUGH?? Well, I’ve healthified it for this month’s Recipe ReDux challenge — “Bars & Bites for Brown Bags.”
Whether you pack your lunch in a bento box, a brown bag or a retro cartoon character lunch box, don’t forget the bars and bites. Small squares or round bites can pack nutrition into a sweet or savory taste. Show us your favorite way to jazz up any type of lunch box.
While these would make a great “dessert” for a lunch box, they are quite perfect for a post-workout snack. Pair with a glass of milk and you’re golden.
This recipe was inspired by Juli from PaleOMG’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Balls
Cookie Dough Protein Bites
Yield: 20-22 bites
Besides having 6 grams protein per
ball bite (“per ball” just didn’t sound right…), these cookie dough bites are gluten-free, can be made vegan by using a vegan protein powder and contain no raw eggs — because ain’t nobody got time for food poisoning.
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder, such as Gold Standard Natural or Designer Whey (if making vegan, use vegan protein powder, such as Vega)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. liquid coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey, preferably local
- 3 Tbsp. coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, such as Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Using hands, form “dough” into 1″ rounds
- Store in the freezer
These are seriously addicting, you guys. I made them yesterday and my boyfriend has already eaten all but two of them. So, if you have a significant other, family member or roommate who loves cookies and/or protein powder (the boyfriend loves both), I highly recommending hiding these things. They go FAST.
For more back to school bites & bars, click the blue guy below.